mc.minedlands.com

How to diagnose Network Lag when porting using wireshark

Is something not working correctly? Please let us know!

How to diagnose Network Lag when porting using wireshark

Postby Giselbaer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

This is how I generated my network graphs. Images are from the Linux version, so yours might look slightly different, but not too much.

[*] Download wireshark from http://www.wireshark.org, then install it. When you're installing on Windows, it'll ask to install WinPcap as well, you need that part too. You can omit USBPcap though.

[*] When you start Wireshark up, you'll see a welcome screen similar to this:

In the capture filter box, enter "host mc.minedlands.com", and click your network or wifi card to highlight it. eth0 is the Linux name, on Windows, it'll typically show the vendor and/or device model name. Then, press return to start capturing.

[*] Now, log into minedlands, and start doing stuff, like moving from the hub to the vanilla server, or using /home and/or /spawn to port around. The wireshark window will look like this:

The black lines indicate network problems like lost packets or similar, by the way.

Once you're done, you press the red "capture stop" button, or select capture-stop from the menu. Now you can analyze lots of things. As we want to make sure we're analyzing the traffic FROM the server TO your pc, make sure you click one of the lines that has "68.230...." in the SOURCE column first. Then, there's two basic graph windows that are interesting:

- From the menu, select statistics/I/O Graph. This results in a graph like this, that shows network traffic and packet loss:

I like taking notes when I do what in game - for example, log in and arrive at hub at 22:15:28, move to the vanilla server at 22:15:32 - and clicking the "time of day" checkbox so I can match my ingame actions to the network data. Also, setting the Y axis to "bytes" (it's set to packets at first, click that word to get a select box) helps with getting the idea of how much data really transfers. In this image, we see how the transfer started fast at 22:15:34, slowed down quickly when network packets started getting lost (yellow bars), and how the chunk loading stopped at 22:15:46.

- From the menu, select statistics/TCP stream graph/throughput. That'll give you an overview of packet size and data transfer:

If your image looks very different from this, then you probably didn't select a packet list row that had 68.230.... in the source column, so you're seeing the throughput from your PC to the server, not vice versa. Press the "switch direction" button in that case.

I'm looking forward to seeing graphs from US users who don't have the large ping times (100+ ms) that I do.
Giselbaer

Re: How to diagnose Network Lag when porting using wireshark

Postby Giselbaer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 pm

Whatever you did, it helped a lot!

Today porting seemed a lot faster to me. I repeated the test, and here's the IO graph:

Bytes per second increased from 420000 to 1200000, and there's almost no lost packets anymore. Which means porting takes 2.5 seconds now to transfer chunks, instead of 15.

Thank you for fixing the server :)
Gisel
Giselbaer