mc.minedlands.com

New Spawn Open on PvE Server!

Keep up to date with all the latest info about Minedlands.

New Spawn Open on PvE Server!

Postby Jhazkrit » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:16 am

Yes folks, you heard it right! Today is the day. Pigs have flown, fat ladies have sung and the New Spawn is open! Starting this day forward, every time you /spawn , you will be brought to the wooden glory that is our new spawn. Don't worry if you are still attached to the old spawn, or even new era, for Zhro has provided a warp back to the old spawn for your convenience. Also located at New Spawn are a random warp terminal, an end portal hidden in a maze, some PvP arenas (feature not yet finished!), a group warp platform to take people home with you, and of course, our new club: Club Taco! Be sure to visit our New Spawn today!
Jhazkrit

Re: New Spawn Open on PvE Server!

Postby chrisfallis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:12 pm

I saw the sign in the Old Spawn warp area the said something to the effect that the Old Spawn was going away in November of this year. It also mentioned moving your stuff. Is that because it will be a long walk from 0,0 (roughly old spawn) to 80K, 80K (New Era) with no portal?
chrisfallis

Postby Buckmanfu » Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 pm

My understanding is that the mechanics of new spawn will reduce the lag on vanilla. In order to due that the mechanics that are in place at the current spawn world will come to an end. When that happens all that old content and builds will become inaccessible.
Buckmanfu

Postby Adragonia » Sun May 03, 2015 12:05 am

So it would be in our best interest to start moving over sooner than not, just to be safe?
Adragonia

Postby ILoveGadgets » Sun May 03, 2015 5:16 am

First of all, I just want to say that the new spawn looks fabulous, congratulations to the builders.

Now there is one little issue that will affect lots of us, some much more than me and that is the retiring of the old world.

I agree that it has to be retired, there are lots of areas that are mined out, there are lots of areas with abandoned builds and lots of areas with significant lag.

As an example, my new PC runs minecraft at a rock steady 60fps (monitor refresh rate) with a 64x texture pack, fancy settings and any number of mods - it is the first time I have been able to run any of the FTB modpacks with no lag whatsoever. Walking alone the North Path in New Era causes my game to become a slideshow, not just fps slowdown, but actual freezing until all the game recalculations have been completed.

With problems like that, a new map and a new start is a good idea.

So what's the problem?

We have to move anything we want to keep to a new location - in vanilla minecraft and I have 300 stacks of smooth stone alone!

What would be nice is if there could be an area where players could claim a 1 chunk area to build a house on with a fast 2-way link to the new spawn without having to set home.

That way players like me could move their storage from their current homes to somewhere safe until we can choose a new location for a permanent home and our big builds, and it would also provide a good town for new players to get established in.

The build rules could be: you claim a 16x16 area aligned to a chunk, you build (could be pre built) a path aound your chunk with stone brick slab+stone brick stair, which would give 4 wide paved streets between houses to space it out and let people move around. After that build style is up to the player, with random TNT spawns in the vicinity of dirt or cobble boxes. New players can be given 256 claim blocks to start to allow them to get a safe house in town while they decide what to do.

Other rules for town - no auto farms of any kind.

The other thing that would be nice would be a designated mining area with a warp to it that can be reset periodically by deleting the area so the chunks regenerate and a no strip mining in town rule, that will stop areas being mined out and aslo keep build areas nice instead of becoming hollowed out near bedrock.

A spawn town would also give the server well defined community area.
ILoveGadgets

Postby magnamundian » Sun May 03, 2015 7:46 am

Buckmanfu wrote:My understanding is that the mechanics of new spawn will reduce the lag on vanilla. In order to due that the mechanics that are in place at the current spawn world will come to an end. When that happens all that old content and builds will become inaccessible.

Say what ... :shock:

I'd like clarification on this, if we're losing our 'old' builds (bearing in mind I've been around less than a year) I may question what keeps me invested in the server.

I like the vibe, I like the non-flashiness of the server, I've invested my time, real world cash and resources into my builds. I'm not going to get that back and even if I did I wouldn't want to redo the work all over again.

In terms of spawn/New Era I think a lot of people don't want to risk upset by tackling unclaimed structures, a simple rule change that unclaimed areas within the 'city limits' are 'fair game' would allow some of us to give the abandoned areas a makeover.

New blood is stifled, not because areas are 'mined out' (I've never had trouble finding resources) but because it's hard to work out which builds are owned but not claimed and which are claimed but have been abandoned by members who left years ago.
magnamundian

Postby ILoveGadgets » Sun May 03, 2015 1:03 pm

magnamundian wrote:
Buckmanfu wrote:My understanding is that the mechanics of new spawn will reduce the lag on vanilla. In order to due that the mechanics that are in place at the current spawn world will come to an end. When that happens all that old content and builds will become inaccessible.

Say what ... :shock:

I'd like clarification on this, if we're losing our 'old' builds (bearing in mind I've been around less than a year) I may question what keeps me invested in the server.

I like the vibe, I like the non-flashiness of the server, I've invested my time, real world cash and resources into my builds. I'm not going to get that back and even if I did I wouldn't want to redo the work all over again.

In terms of spawn/New Era I think a lot of people don't want to risk upset by tackling unclaimed structures, a simple rule change that unclaimed areas within the 'city limits' are 'fair game' would allow some of us to give the abandoned areas a makeover.

New blood is stifled, not because areas are 'mined out' (I've never had trouble finding resources) but because it's hard to work out which builds are owned but not claimed and which are claimed but have been abandoned by members who left years ago.

The problem that can't seem to be fixed on the existing map is the slide-show inducing lag in heavily built up areas and around some of the auto farms that have been built.

And yes, finding resources is no problem, you just walk a bit, the world is effectively infinite, but there are too many abandoned areas around spawn and the New Era warp and it is all looking untidy and chaotic.

The only thing that I am not looking forward to is moving a hundred or so double chests full of stuff.
ILoveGadgets

Postby chrisfallis » Sun May 03, 2015 9:48 pm

If a mod or Zhro could explain the pocket world concept on this forum, that would be great. I am still trying to compare the towns built up around the old spawn and new era to the vision for the latest spawn area. My time on this server has been spent going on walkabout, maybe 10 or 20 kilometers, until I find the biome or land features that I like. When I am happy with the location I claim and build. For instance, I wanted a medieval fortified harbor town. It took ages to locate a hillside overlooking an ocean, but I found it and started a build. Can I explore strange new areas in various pocket worlds until I find a site to my liking? Can I have a little townhouse close to the new spawn and a farm in the country connected by underground or nether rail, or even a surface road? I would like to make an informed decision before I move my stuff from my current 5 claimed locations.
chrisfallis

Postby Buckmanfu » Sun May 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Pocket World Example

This what the pocket world looks like in Voxel. I outlined the border of the pocket world in Paint.

So from X:0 Z:0; the world is 512 in all directions. From the couple of pocket worlds I've seen, they all have a center point at 0,0.

This one has a variety of biomes, Extreme Hills, Roofed Forest, Swamp, forests, flower forest, plains, etc...

And if you know what to look for on Voxel... there is something special here also.
Buckmanfu

Postby Adragonia » Sun May 03, 2015 11:01 pm

So every day the random warp at the new spawn goes to a different pocket world? And there still hasn't been any clarification about old spawn going away. I'm sort of confused by what all the new spawn area entails. I started looking around for a place to maybe move to, but it didn't take me long at all to reach the end of the world.
Adragonia

Next